I love snacking, It’s my favorite hobby. I’m on a healthy snack kick at the moment. I just jumped on the Naturebox bandwagon this week and I really want to start snacking healthier. I mindlessly snack too often to eat unhealthy snacks anymore. If I only make one healthy change in my life, it will be my snacks. So, I was online this weekend and saw the idea of crunchy chickpeas and was excited. I like chickpeas. I like crunch. This could work. I picked out spices from the cupboard and was off.
My chickpeas did get a little dark. I would recommend not binge watching Netflix while these are in the oven like me. But if you do, I encourage you to watch “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”. It is new and amazing. I will be eating these while watching the last episode. They are not potato chips, but they do the trick.
Smokey Crunchy Chickpeas
- parchment paper
- a rimmed baking sheet
- One 15 ounce can of chickpeas (drained, rinsed, pat dried)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked pimenton (paprika)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp maldon sea salt, then a pinch more for after
- 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. When rinsing outer shell will naturally come off make sure you get them all off (see above). Then pat dry.
- Put the seasonings in a bowl (but leave out the cheese), then add the olive oil and mix until combined.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl and coat them in the seasoned olive oil. Lay them flat on lined baking sheet and place into the oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Shake them around halfway through the cooking time.
- When out of oven, coat them with the parmesan cheese and add a pinch more salt. Then garnish with a generous squeeze of lemon. Wait until they cool to eat.